Displaying rock climbing routes in OsmAnd
Stephen
2017-10-11 22:25:03 UTC
I'm a regular climber and OSM contributor; Most of my contributions have
been geometry and tags for various trails, crags, cliffs, climbing routes,
and descents. Here is a good example of an area with some climbing routes
mapped (climbing=route):

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/shM

In addition to the various "climbing" tags used (full details:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Climbing), I also
include the more general sport=climbing tag on all climbing-related
nodes/ways/areas I create. OsmAnd is kind enough to render these, but only
as an icon (way and area information is lost):

But unfortunately, the shapes/lines are lost, and when you tap on the icon
for these routes you usually don't even get to see the name value (just
"Climbing" with no context).

I'd be happy to try creating a custom render style / plugin to show these
shapes, but I don't think these tags get included in the offline map dumps.
Can someone confirm or point me in the right direction to investigate how
that might get changed in the future? I would love to see OsmAnd become as
useful for outdoor climbing as it already appears to be for skiing :-)